Benefits of Becoming an Owner
Co-ops are a place where everyone is welcome. While you don’t have to be an owner to shop, it’s easy and fun to join. Best of all, you’ll feel good sharing in the bounty of a business that will be locally owned forever, a business with integrity that supports the local community and at the same time builds connections with our local growers. Below are some of the many benefits of being an owner of Sacramento Natural Foods.
All Co-op owners (current on their fair share payment plans) receive a 10% Owner Appreciation Month discount four times a year. The Co-op will designate four months per year (one in each season) as Owner Appreciation Months. Each owner can choose the day during those months when they wish to enjoy this discount. The discount applies to the total of the owner’s purchases made that day. The Owner Appreciation Discount cannot be combined with the Senior Appreciation discounts. This benefit is subject to change based on the Co-op’s financial performance.
- Vote in all Co-op elections
- Opportunity to run for Board of Directors or serve on any of its advisory committees
- Discounts on classes and events in the Co-op Cooking School & Community Learning Center
- Product coupons
- Subscription to the Co-op magazine, The Fork
Optional Owner Worker Program
You must be a Co-op owner or a household shopper to participate in the Owner Worker Program and must complete the Owner Worker Orientation before performing work. For more information, register for an Owner Worker Orientation at our Customer Service Desk or on our website.
The Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op recognizes the value of having its owners participate in store and Co-op operations. Owners have the opportunity to be involved while also earning discounts by taking part in the Co-op’s Owner Worker Program. By working 6 hours in a month, owners will earn a 10% discount on all purchases during the following month. The program is flexible – work can be done every month or just once in awhile. Most opportunities for work are in the Front End, bagging groceries and helping shoppers carry groceries to their cars.
Shoppers at the Co-op are entitled to excellent service and a warm and friendly store environment. To ensure that the Owner Worker Program supports that expectation, we have developed the program guidelines outlined below that all owner workers are responsible for following.
- All owner work shifts are subject to store needs and determined by the store’s management.
- All available work shifts will be listed in the Owner Worker Sign In book available at the Customer Service Desk.
- Owner work shifts will be available in the Front End as helper.
- All owner work is to be done under the supervision of the management or shift leader of the assigned department.
- Owner workers must sign up in advance for work shifts.
- Shift minimums are two hours. You may work a three hour shift if it is available.
- You must be a Co-op owner or household shopper to participate in the Owner Worker Program.
- All owner workers will complete the Owner Worker Orientation before performing any work.
- All owner workers will check in and check out for their shifts at the Customer Service Desk where they will log in, receive an apron or vest and a name badge and return supplies to the CSD after their shifts.
- Owner workers need to be patient and wait for assistance when at the Customer Service Desk. Customers come first and they will be helped as soon as possible to be signed up for shifts or to check in or out for the day.
- Owner workers should update their phone numbers when scheduling shifts.
- Owner workers are not allowed to call and schedule shifts on Anti-Depression Friday, Senior Day or on any holidays. If it is busy at the desk, they will be asked to call back at a later time to schedule shifts.
- At the end of your shift, you must fill out a yellow Owner Worker Hours Log form to get credit for the hours that you have worked. The forms are located at the Customer Service Desk. Complete the form and have your supervisor initial it. Then return it to the Customer Service Desk when you check out.
- At the end of your shift, please remember to check out at the Customer Service Desk and turn in your name tag, apron/vest and Owner Worker Hours log form to the Customer Service Desk.
- our hours will be tracked by our Owner Administrator. If you have any questions about your owner worker hours, please contact the Owner Administrator at 916-736-6800 ext. 122.
Failure to comply with these guidelines and procedures may result in suspension or termination from the program.
In addition to in-store work, there are some limited opportunities to work with our Outreach team. Again, you must be a Co-op owner or household shopper to participate on these teams and you must complete the Owner Worker Orientation before doing so.
Thank you for participating in the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op’s Owner Worker Program. We look forward to working with you.
Visit our Contact Us section for Owner related forms.