The Co-op’s Member Volunteer Program provides opportunities for eligible Co-op members (and their designated household shoppers) to volunteer with non-profit community partners, in exchange for a discount at the Co-op. This offers a pathway for members to make meaningful contributions that will make a real difference in our community.
The Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op is committed to supporting the community, as stated in its Global Ends Statement. Partnering with organizations whose work aligns with that commitment helps the Co-op fulfill this goal.
General Guidelines for the Member Volunteer Program
- In order to be eligible to volunteer, Co-op members (or their designated household shopper) must attend a Member Volunteer Orientation and keep their equity current to ensure discounts are received and membership benefits remain intact.
- Member Volunteer Orientations will be posted at sac.coop/membervolunteer, starting in spring, 2018.
- To volunteer, call 916-868-6399. Online registration will be available soon.
- All volunteer shifts must be signed up for in advance online. No drop-ins, please.
- Two volunteer credits are required to receive a discount the following month.
- Member Volunteers can accrue enough credits to earn a discount for up to 2 months.
Member Volunteer FAQs
Q: How do I find out what kinds of opportunities are available?
A: Coming soon! Qualifying Members will be able to view available dates, times and opportunities at sac.coop/membervolunteer. Meanwhile, please call 916-868-6399.
Q: Is it possible to bag groceries at the Co-op for member volunteer shifts?
A: No. That kind of work is limited to the Co-op’s paid, mostly unionized, staff. The opportunities at River City Food Bank are similar to the kinds of work that have been available in the past: bagging, sorting groceries and customer service.
Q: I already volunteer at my child’s school. Can the time I spend there count?
A: Opportunities are only available at the Co-op’s established qualifying partners. (You’ll find a list of partners at sac.coop/membervolunteer.)
Q: I don’t have a computer. How can I find out about the available opportunities and sign up?
A: You can call our registration line at 916-868-6399 and we will be happy to help you. If we don’t answer, please leave a message and we will call you.
Q: Am I able to sign up at the Co-op Customer Service Desk?
A: In order for the Customer Service Desk to concentrate on the many other needs of Co-op shoppers, we ask that you call our registration line.
Q: Can I do twice as many shifts and get a discount for myself and for someone else?
A: The volunteer credit will only be available to the member who is volunteering and a designated household shopper. A household shopper can volunteer and earn the discount for the household.
Q: I’m between jobs right now so it’s a great time to bank a bunch of member volunteer credits! How far into the future can I earn my discount?
A: I’m between jobs right now so it’s a great time to bank a bunch of member volunteer credits! How far into the future can I earn my discount?