Co-op Community Kitchen Program Overview
This program supports the Co-op’s mission to provide the benefits of healthy food to as many people in our community as possible and fulfill a growing need among members of our community who are experiencing hunger and economic hardship. We believe that learning to cook healthy low-cost meals can help everyone to be able to eat well.
- 4 weekly classes- 2 hours in length
- Each class includes hands-on cooking & nutrition education with an emphasis on eating healthy, local & low-cost.
- At the end of each class, participants are given key recipe ingredients used during the cooking education component and encouraged to replicate the meal at home.
- Additionally, there is an optional store tour at the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op to learn about ways to save when shopping
In our four-week program students learn to:
- Prepare delicious, healthy, low-cost meals using whole grains, fresh produce and plant-based proteins ($2.00 or less per serving)
- Make positive changes in shopping, cooking, and eating habits
- Choose foods to include in a healthy meal
- Use the Co-op as a resource for healthy low-cost foods
- Plan menus and set food budgets
- Read nutrition facts labels
- Save money on healthy foods
- Practice knife handling and safety
- Prepare and handle food safely
- Properly store fruits, vegetables, and bulk foods properly to reduce waste and save money
We are proud to partner with such community organizations as:
For More Information:
To learn more about our Co-op Community Kitchen program, how you can become a trained volunteer educator or make a tax deductible donation, contact Dawn Dunlap, Nutrition Programs Manager at email@example.com or 916-732-3174