To provide the benefits of natural foods and products, economic cooperation, and sustainable practices to as many people as possible in the communities we serve.
To be a trusted source of natural foods and products, and a reliable resource for consumer information.
Our Customer Service Commitment
We will provide excellent customer service and a friendly and welcoming environment for all.
Our Co-op began as a food buying club in 1972 and opened a storefront of primarily bulk foods at 16th and P Streets in downtown Sacramento. In 1973, this buying club was incorporated as the Sacramento Natural Foods Cooperative, a Board of Directors was elected and the first paid employee was hired.
With continued growth, the Co-op needed a larger space and in 1974 the store was moved to 2996 Freeport Boulevard. In 1989, the Co-op moved to 1900 Alhambra Boulevard at the corner of S Street in Midtown Sacramento. In making this move, the Co-op doubled its physical size and its employee count. The Co-op also added a fish, meat and poultry counter and wine and beer to its offerings.
The selection has continued to expand and adapt, according to a strict set of standards. Since 2000, our Produce Department has exclusively sold organically grown fruits and vegetables.
In 2001, we first opened the doors to our Cooking School & Community Learning Center, adjacent to the Sacramento store and home to cooking classes, health seminars and a variety of owner meetings and special events. We are committed to serving our Co-op owners and supporting our community through education, owner meetings and events, outreach activities and charitable programs and projects.
In 2016, the Co-op continued to evolve and grow. The store and Cooking School moved to a new location at the corner of R and 29th streets in Midtown Sacramento.
We’ve come a long way from our buying club days, but we stay true to our cooperative roots with the multitude of discussions on product selection, owner services, retail practices and ethical issues that take place every day in our business.
- We work together.
- We strive to reach mutually beneficial outcomes.
- We make decisions based on the common interest of owners.
- We operate as a sustainable business.
- We respect the natural environment and act accordingly.
- We work toward a sustainable community and a just society.
- We provide healthful products.
- We provide information about healthy choices.
- We respect diverse opinions about what is healthy.
- We have voluntary and open ownership.
- We encourage owner involvement.
- Each owner has one vote.
- Owner financial return is proportionate to patronage.
- We are ethical in our business practices.
- We encourage healthy debate.
- We respect and invest in the professionalism of our staff.
- Provide a broad selection of products at fair prices.
- Provide excellent customer service and consumer education.
- Succeed as a sustainable business that reaches as many people as possible.
- Be a great workplace.
- Model sustainable environmental practices in our business.
- Encourage owner involvement in decision making and governance
- Honor the earth and cultivate the Co-op’s relationships with the communities we serve and with the broader network of farmers, suppliers, manufacturers and cooperatives.